Sunday 8 October 2023

Slowly taking shape

I've reached the point in the RE where the rate of progress is beginning to slow. On the bright side, I've probably commented about 75% of the code thus far, so I have a good idea of how it's all working, if not some of the finer details. What's remaining is mostly entwined with what I call the 'AI', or gameplay logic.

Last session I was getting a little frustrated with the lack of progress, but a few small gains and then actually taking a step back to look again at the bigger picture improved my perspective somewhat and, as a result, some of the higher level unanswered questions suddenly seemed to click into place.

I didn't get a chance to work on it again today, but after working out all the hardware sprite allocations I now know what I need to do next; identify how the various aliens are allocated to the different object tables. That should in turn assist in RE'ing some of the remaining variables, and the mystery of the letters!

More to come on that subject...

UPDATE: I'll just tack onto the previous post...

Really getting into the nitty-gritty now. I have a much clearer idea of object table and sprite allocation after tonight's session. One structure I thought was an object table actually isn't, though I don't really have any idea what it is at this point.

There's quite a bit of table lookup happening. I'm working on the data structures and routines for the (up to 9) objects stored at $E200, which include the 'normal' smaller aliens buzzing around. I've identified the STATE, TYPE, X,Y and DX,DY structure members, plus what I believe are the TIMER and COUNTER members. Other members I'm still not sure of. I've identified types/routines for two (2) specific aliens now, the others should be relatively straightforward to identify one I work through the code.

There's quite a bit of table lookup in the logic for handling aliens. This is for both movement and other gameplay-related logic. It's going to take quite a while to work it all out, and perhaps there are sections I never will.

I can say that collecting 'D' is at least beneficial to the player in one aspect... more I can't say yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment