Monday 6 November 2023

And that's probably it for Vulgus!

I've decided to put Vulgus to bed.

After a fruitless session, I've exhausted my interest in finishing the RE. Given that I don't have plans to transcode it at all, the ROI for the remining sections is miniscule.

The few remaining 'free-standing' variables are flags and timers for spawning various alien types. I could probably stare at it long enough to come up with some sort of meaningful name for them, but I'm not going to.

The various alien object tables have indeterminate member variables that are almost certainly related to movement, whether they be timers, velocities and/or accelerations, or movement table pointers. I've spent some time trying to nail them down, but the different object table structures for different aliens makes it a nightmare.

Finally, the data structure used to generate and keep track of the background map is missing a whole heap of values, including pointers and offsets into various tables of meta-data, tile codes and colour palettes. I've tried a few times now to decypher it all, but it just leaves me with a headache.

I've thought of simple patching/lifting the source for the purpose of generating the full map, but even that seems overwhelming atm. I think I've simply burnt out on Vulgus.

That's it for Vulgus... for now at least.

I will continue to play it and hopefully (finally) see the titular Vulgus for myself. Part of the quandary I have is that I have no idea how the elements of the final boss look or behave, which makes it difficult to RE the code related to it, and I don't want to spoil the game for myself by cheating or watching a YouTube video.

Let's see what takes my fancy next...

No comments:

Post a Comment