Thursday 16 February 2023

Attract mode fixed, only to uncover more bugs in the process!

Well that opened a can of worms!

This morning I decided to fix the bug where the Solvalou moves very quickly in attract mode.

What I discovered wasn't great; I was treating the _dX,_dY values as bytes in some cases, and (correctly) as a word in other places! So first order of business was fixing all of those instances, and converting a dX,dY table for Solvalou movement from byte values to words.

That fixed the movement in attract mode, but I noticed it wasn't firing at all! Tracking that down uncovered another two (2) bugs; in some places I was reading the attract mode stage as a byte instead of a word, and in the case of generating a random shot to be fired, the random number was being treated as a byte instead of a word. So again, multiple instances that had to be fixed.

All byte/word issues. Makes me wonder how many more of these issues are waiting to be discovered?

Anyway, 5 from 8 bugs, 3 remaining. One of them may/may not be a bug - it was an observation when I was debugging the Neo Geo sprite implementation. I'll have to go back and recreate the conditions to see if it persists. The remaining 2 will be a bit more problematic I think; occasional bullets that just hang in the air, and extra Solvalou being awarded every hit.

But for now, on with the audit...

UPDATE: I've finished the 3rd device in the MAIN ROM, just one more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment