Friday 28 April 2023

Even less Xevious happening...

Scool holidays means even less time to work on my projects. Not that I've been particularly motivated lately. Xevious has been a no-go for a few weeks now... it's getting ridiculous now - I need to release a new Beta with better sound before everyone forgets all about it.

I have done some more work on Donkey Kong though. I think I've finished converting all the tilemap accesses to osd_w_vram calls. I should now be able to fill out the routine to actually update the Neo Geo sprites, and then remove the call that renders the entire tilemap every VBLANK.

I'm not too keen on how I did the transcode all those years ago. I was more concerned with mirroring the Z80 register usage than optimising for the 68K registers. Even then I don't think I was entirely consistent. As a result, it's a bit of a dog's breakfast. I've already re-allocated some registers in the routines that I've been updating for vram access.

When I finish Xevious and start on the transcode in earnest, I'm going to go back to the start and work through all the existing code. There's a few other areas where I diverted from the way the original code works when I really shouldn't have. I want to fix all that up - I'm much happier with the way Xevious turned out, and want to use that as the template for my transcodes going forward.

This week I'll make a concerted effort to finish off Xevious and release a new Beta, even if it is just the sound. There's really only one last bug that I need to find - spurious Toroids (flying objects?) destroyed when firing continuously.

No comments:

Post a Comment