Wednesday 3 May 2023

Xevious, Donkey Kong and now Galaxian on the boil...

Still yet to work on Xevious as there is another distraction now - Galaxian!

jotd is working on a largely programmatically-transcoded version of Scott Tunstell's very comprehensive RE of the arcade Galaxian. He has the game running on the Amiga, sans sprites, already!

I have updated my tools to rip the graphics and palette, and rendered the Neo Geo tiles. I've created a skeleton project for the Neo Geo, added some stub functions for the OSD functions implemented by jotd, and it builds. The splash screen displays (using the Galaxian font) but the game resets the Neo Geo as soon as it runs.

Splash screen with arbitrary colours

I won't be doing a huge amount of work on this in the short term; just enough to get the game running and displaying to give jotd an idea of how the OSD he has defined is working. Then I'll let him finish off the transcode before I polish it off on the Neo Geo.

Xevious is still beckoning of course...

UPDATE: Galaxian may be put on hold. jotd is using a lot of PC-relative addressing which breaks when I specify .text and .bss sections for the code and data respectively... so it may depend on whether or not he's interested in supporting the Neo Geo...

No comments:

Post a Comment