Friday 27 January 2023

This is taking a flipping long time!

Scant time again but have managed to do some more sprite optimisation.

Technically, there's plenty of time to update the shadow registers before the next VBLANK, but I don't like unneceessarily inefficient code. I've done some optimisation as far as the current functionality is concerned, and I'm happy with that code now. Aside from the code itself, all unused Neo Geo sprites should now be deactivated. I'm yet to see how the Andor Genesis looks now with the 96 sprite-per-scanline limit... there still may be some tweaking I can do in this regard...

The only functionality left now is to handle flipping of 1x2 and 2x2 sprites. I've tried a few shortcuts but none were successful. I might have to resort to look-up tables, which I'm not averse to. Again, it's not critical that it's as efficient as possible - just decent code.

I'm estimating that I can knock this over in just one more good long session... maybe eary next week.

Then it's the relatively lengthy and somewhat tedious transcode audit and bug-fixes.

jotd has been making more progress on the Amiga; hopefully he'll be able to share a video of the background scrolling properly soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment