Monday 15 May 2023

Galaxian looking good now!

More incremental progress on Galaxian when I should be doing Xevious. But time has been short and I'm trying to support jotd as far as possible as he did me during Xevious. He is slowly finding and fixing bugs in the transcode and so it's getting that little bit closer to being finished every day.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I've implemented all the sounds that jotd has ripped and added to the core. Almost trivial thus far on the Neo Geo, though I suspect the "swarm sound" may cause some difficulties on the Neo Geo...

I've implemented the bullets. With plenty of tiles to spare I rendered the bullets in every possible position within the 16x16 grid of the Neo Geo tile. That gives me options if I need to tweak pixel offsets for the nuances of Galaxian hardware.

Looking pretty accurate now,
although the OSD is still a quick hack atm.

Having just said that, jotd has made the decision to eliminate the above-mentioned hardware nuances (pixel offsets for different sprites) together with the corresponding core code that caters for them. Not much point adjusting sprite coordinates in the core 68K code, only to subsequently reverse them in the OSD layer.

It's time for me to implement my hacked OSD layer "properly". I'll have to implement dirty tiles and defer the background tile update to the VBLANK ISR as well us tidy up the sprite code.

No comments:

Post a Comment