Sunday 6 March 2016

Field trip!

I made good on my threat and dragged my business partner to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. Was also interesting to drive past all the Silicon Valley companies on the way there - Motorola, Microchip, Google, NASA Ames Research, Seagate to name but a few.

It would be fair to say that the focus was on the earlier developments, and that the 80's home computer isn't given as much real estate as I'd expected going in. Having said that, I did snap a few specimens related to Knight Lore, although they were sadly sitting cold on the shelves with little more than a few sentences printed on a card.

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum, for which Knight Lore was originally developed.
Of course all of my ports are based on the original ZX Spectrum version. I later added the CPC graphics to the C port from the Amstrad CPC version without changing the underlying code.

Knight Lore received enhanced two-tone graphics for its port to the Amstrad CPC 464
There was also an Amiga 1000 - the original Amiga model - to which I am also porting Knight Lore. Sadly though, there was no Coco to be found, although it did rate a mention on the card for the Dragon 32, a UK-based Coco (1) clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment